03 November 2017 / Club News

*Girling Match Report*

Saturday saw the Pont squad welcome Griling RFC to the welfare for the first league game in over 3 weeks. The disappointment from the cancelled game against Old Tylerians RFC the previous week had only turned frustration into determination to get the job done!

Last minute changes saw fullback Mark Johnsons debut being delayed, pulling up in the warm up with a calf injury, so the ever-reliable Tom Haddock stepped back from centre and completed the back trio.

Debuts were on the cards; young back 5 player Luke Eatwell and front row Ashton Morgan were handed their first season start in the pack.

Pontllanfraith RFC received kick off to start the game and took to hitting the line as soon as possible and within the first 15 minutes were rewarded with a penalty kick close to the posts. Unfortunately, fly half Andrew Deneen was unable to convert and the ball drifted wide off the upper right post; the game remained 0-0.

 The first half then consisted of missed opportunities and lack of structure – clearly evidencing to all spectators that the squad hasn’t played a league game in weeks. Attempting to capitalise on a penalty kick to touch, the pack aimed to set the ball and drive over for a try. However, fumbling the ball resulted in a break away try for the Grling winger. Unconverted the half finished 5-0 to the visitors.

Second half saw an immediate change in momentum. With the defence pushing up fast, fly half Andrew Deneen spotting the opportunity and cut into the line, managing to sidestep his opposite number and drift a hand off around another only to be brought down within 5 metres. Quick ball from the silky whippet Matthew Davis from the base saw the ball reach second row Chris Price, whose 6 foot 3 medium build figure took the opportunity to throw a dummy pass and crash over the line for a much needed try.

Further tries came from backrow Matthew Williams who burst from a scrum to cross the line, Chris price once again crashing over and finally captain Larry Potter who receiving a beauty of an offload from Matthew Davis and showed his pace to beat 4 players into the corner – securing the winning bonus point.

Big mention to winger Rhys Purnell who came to the field after completing the Cardiff Invcnbl race and had his best game to date.

Although the team won the game 22-12 with a 4 try bonus point - after the game had the finished the dressing room was silent – the squad knew the performance that was displayed was unacceptable and nowhere near where we need to be. Coach Neil Clarkey asked one question “What do you want from this season?” with the general response being “promotion”

The potential this team has is never questionable – but the team need to ensure that they are switched on for the full 80+minutes of the game.

Tuesdays and Thursdays sessions will be deliberate, hard and specific to our game plan and the squad will be busting to play against Tref -y – Clawdd RFC on the home turf next Saturday.


Man of the match and dick of the day – Chris Price – The big guy scored two tries but also received a yellow card.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments